Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Wish list: Cookbooks

Hello, blogosphere friends. It's been awhile.


'Rock'tober is coming to an end, and thank goodness because I've been working like a dog. When you last heard from me, I shared the funniest thing I've ever subjected myself to, which was appearing on local television as Marie Antoinette (in promotion of a high-end bridal show). 
Oi vay.

Yes, that surely ranks up there as one of the funniest and most ridiculous things I've ever done. Perhaps another time, I'll share photos from the actual event. Hint: it included my first and only jaunt down a fashion runway.


Anyhow, as noted it's been an insane month with a packed work schedule (full of great concerts, so I'm not complaining), three weddings, a marathon (I didn't run it - but I volunteer as the marketing manager), and - oh - trying to live. Most meals have not been worth recording. I think I've done two loads of laundry since October 1st. And workouts? We just won't go there. All great excuses for being a 'bad' blogger (NOT). To top it all off... writer's block, like a mofo. 


So, when inspiration struck earlier tonight, I made a beeline for my laptop. And here we are!


Tonight's idea: The Holidays are right around the corner, and I'm sure you all are starting to brainstorm the perfect gifts for loved ones. 


Here are my top five cookbooks, for the foodies on your shopping lists:


1. Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? 
by Ina Garten
First off, Ina Garten is a foodie goddess. Every time I catch her show on TV, it never fails, a full 30 minutes of drooling ensues. Second, Her recipes are elegant yet wholesome, and her style is timeless. 
Ina's new cookbook (in stores tomorrow - Oct. 26) promises "Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips!" and I'm sure it will deliver.


2. Babycakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery  by Erin McKenna
I've never been to Babycakes in N.Y.C., but their reputation is enough to make me want to purchase this book for my sister, who loves cupcakes. 


3. In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
Okay, so this isn't a cookbook. However I have heard it's a must-read, as the author takes a very candid look at the American diet and trends. Practical advice offered: "Avoid food products that are A) unfamiliar, B) unpronounceable, C) more than five in number, or that include D) high-fructose corn syrup." It would surely make for an interesting gift.


4. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl 
by Ree Drummond
If you haven't heard of Ree's blog, The Pioneer Woman, you must have been living in a hole. Go there. Now. 
Ree uses real butter, and she's not meat-shy (she lives on a cattle ranch). Her recipes are homestyle meets gourmet. She's like a funnier, wittier and more cosmopolitan Paula Deen. 


5. Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook by Kim Barnouin
The Skinny Bitch books aren't for everyone (read: a profane, tough-love style) and I haven't had a chance to review this new one (it just came out Oct. 19). If you were a fan of Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, I am guessing that this will be a great addition to your collection.


There you have it. Now, go shopping!

6 comments:

Paige (Running Around Normal) said...

Thanks for the cookbook recs! I'm always looking for the next great one :)

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe said...

Great recommendations! I'm currently reading In Defense of Food, and I'm really enjoying it. It's really insightful, and actually makes me feel more free about my food choices. Basically, if it's not real food, don't eat it. Easy enough for me!

Laura said...

Paige - I am esp. excited about Ina's new book!

Candice - glad to hear that you're enjoying In Defense of Food. I will have to get my hands on a copy and perhaps we can have a virtual book club discussion.

Thanks for the comments, ladies! :-D

Anonymous said...

So which one do you want to add to your library???
Love,
Mom

Christine said...

I am in love with the Barefoot Contessa. When I hosted the family Christmas dinner for 21 last year (at age 21) she provided all my inspiration (even if I changed a lot of the recipes).

If I could be 1/2 the hostess that she is.....

Alissa Evelyn said...

in defense of food is amazing!