Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Noshing = moshing?

Whenever I read the word "nosh" or "noshing" I automatically think of "moshing." You know, the slam-dancing or mosh pit type stuff from 90s rock concerts. You know, where a bunch of dudes push each other around in a circle. Funny.
My foodie interpretation of "noshing" is melding a bunch of flavors and textures to create something delicious. Since today is Memorial Day and I found myself without BBQ plans, I decided to make some festive nachos.
Giggity.
I picked up some fancy-sounding cheese... Sargento 'Authentic Mexican' Artisan blend featuring an all-star lineup of cheeses I can't pronounce well. I opted for the full-fat cheese vs. the reduced fat blend that I usually buy, because a) it's a Holiday and b) when it comes to full fat cheese, a little bit goes a long way.
With some no-salt tortilla chips as base, I added 1/3 cup of canned, rinsed then heated black beans. Nuking these in the microwave is key in order to avoid soggy chips and get the cheese to melt the ideal way. The beans add antioxidants, also?
Topped off with 1/4 cup of the fancy cheese, and a few olive slices for good measure... all together heated for about 30 seconds. Et voila:
Damn good.
What good are nachos without beer?
This Fat Tire had been calling my name from the fridge all afternoon.
Oh yeah, and salsa.
Spicy verde and medium tomato did the trick.
Next time I am going to try nuking some thawed from frozen, chopped spinach along with the beans and seasoning with hot sauce. Sounds good, no? Some fresh, chopped tomato would have been great as well. Cilantro? Avocado? The options are endless.
Happy Memorial Day, people!

1 comment:

Chocolate Coated Runner said...

Those tortilla nachos looks DE-LISH-IOUS!!! :) If only there was chocolate too...lol