Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I like it, I love it, I want some more of it

Hello, friends of the universe. How is October treating you? Does everyone have their Halloween costumes picked out yet, and all that jazz?


I have somehow survived the first 1/3 of October, which began with running a marathon. I'm covering two shows at work tonight - Goo Goo Dolls at one venue, and Robert Randolph & The Family Band at another. And then we've got Smashing Pumpkins tomorrow night, and Portugal. The Man on Friday. All of these artists will make for a fun week!


Tonight, I wanted to share five things that I am "loving right now." I've seen these posts around the blogosphere and have always wanted to write one, so here ya go:


1. Drive-By Truckers are one of my favorite live bands. Their music is solid, but their live show is hard-charging, raucous and sounds incredible. If you're into alt. country, chances are you've already heard of this band.
source
We've got a show with them in exactly eleven days. Cannot. Freaking. Wait!


2. Honey Stinger pink lemonade chews. I found these in Colorado and tried a pack on the Pikes Peak Challenge hike, and have since become addicted. 
source
Now I just need to get my mileage back up so that I have an excuse to eat them during long runs. In the meantime, they're delicious (yet expensive) fruit snacks and enjoyed sitting at my desk.


3. A cool blog: Taste on Tour. Joe from The Avett Brothers posts photos, some behind the scenes at the various venues they play, some more artistic. 
source
He's also got a neat archive of restaurants from his travels on tour. Really neat!


4. These pumpkin doughnut muffins that Alysha made. Pumpkin. Doughnuts. In muffin form. 
source
I won't stop drooling until I make them!


5. The song "Zebra" by Beach House (video here). It's one of those songs with the right combo of chords and lyrics to strike our human emotions, just so. 


The refrain repeats "any way you run..." and there's this beautiful sweeping bridge. Just go and watch the trippy, Impressionist-painting like music video, and listen to the song. You'll understand why it was a key component of my marathon playlist.


You do the talking: Are you going to any concerts soon? I am around them so much but still get excited about individual shows, especially nostalgic ones like Smashing Pumpkins. One of my favorite artists as a teenager!


What are you "loving lately?" Any cool snacks, music, recipes, music videos?

2 comments:

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches said...

Ooooh. I definitely need to check out these artists....I love discovering new music! Last concert I saw was Explosions in the Sky, which I saw perform a couple of weeks ago. They are far more exciting to see perform live than listening to the studio versions (which, while relaxing, are not what I would normally say are mind-blowing or anything). Bottom line: I really need to have more concerts in my life...all the ones coming to your venue sound awesome! :)

Cory Reese said...

Mmmm, I love Honey Stingers but have never seen this flavor. I'll have to hunt some down!