Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The best kind of vacation...

... is an active vacation!

As you may have heard, I traveled to San Francisco this weekend to attend the 2nd Annual Foodbuzz Blogger Festival. It was 3 jam-packed days of food, booze, bloggers and information. Today, I am back at work, but feeling remarkably renewed and refreshed. I am thinking that though this weekend was indulgent (copious amounts of gourmet food, wine, beer and spirits), at the same time it was a very active trip. All of the walking, San Francisco hills and a great bike tour tired me out and helped burn off some of the excess caloric energy.

So, about that bike tour! On Friday morning, I headed to breakfast with the roomies (Heather, Raya and Kaitlin). We walked around and perused our options for a moment, deciding on the Cable Car Cafe.
(image, courtesy of Kaitlin)

The restaurant's menu would best be described as basic diner fare. I had two eggs with toast and breakfast potatoes.
I am loving the look on Raya's face in this photo :-)


Afterwards, Raya and I headed out on foot toward Fisherman's Wharf. We walked down Market Street to the Ferry Building, then along the Embarcadero (which I still don't know how to pronounce) and the Bay. It was a gorgeous morning and we took in the sights along the way. 
Hilarious.

We were going for about two miles when we finally reached Fisherman's Wharf and decided to stop for a mid-morning snack... at Biscoff Coffee Corner (KERF would be proud)!

The yogurt parfait and coffee were just what I needed.


Then we walked another few blocks to Bay City Bike, and got ready to ride! 
I couldn't help but Tweet my excitement.
Fact: I don't have a bike at home, and haven't rode on one for several years. Understandably, I was a bit nervous to ride in traffic and uphill.


Fact: I quickly got over my riding anxiety, and had an absolute blast!


We made our way through Ghiardelli Square and rode out on the historic pier at Gashouse Cove. 
Interesting... "GRIMEd"
Through Golden Gate Recreational Area, past Fort Mason,  and onto Marina Green. 


I think this was at Crissy Field?
Before we knew it, we were at the base of the iconic Golden Gate Bridge!
One photo opportunity later, it was GO TIME!

  


After the bridge, we rode down a massive hill to Sausalito. I was gripping my handlebars with white knuckles, but somehow Raya was taking photos of herself. Brave!


Once we reached Sausalito, we wanted to check out one of the cute cafes, but had a ferry to catch. 


Not to worry, we found sustenance on the boat!
Cheez Its and wine, the perfect post-ride fuel :-D


All in all, it was a beautiful day, a perfect ride (save for a couple incidents with the bike chains falling off) and a great time. Highly recommended!


How's your Tuesday going? What's your favorite way to keep active on vacation?

4 comments:

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe said...

So jealous of your bike ride! I LOVE exploring new cities on bike! Looks beautiful:)

And you look so cute in your braids!

Raya said...

Bahahahah. This seriously just made me laugh out loud. #1 at my face in the breakfast pic and #2 at me taking pics while zooming down the hill. hahaha

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful said...

Im just now going through all my business card from Foodbuzz, and just wanted to say that it was so nice to meet you! We sat together at the Gala dinner, and I just wanted to say hi! Love the blog, and totally wish I knew about that bike ride across the bridge. It looked like so much fun!

Holly said...

hahaha i LOVE that you drank wine and ate cheez-its post-ride. awesome, awesome. i wish i had come with - renting bikes and exploring looked like so much fun! glad we got to meet in san fran - now it's time to make that Wisconsin meet-up happen!!!