Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday night, is bourbon night.

At the end of a rough week, I am not always a social butterfly. I love my friends and enjoy my coworkers, but sometimes it's best if I spend a little time home alone, instead of kicking off the weekend at a concert.


Especially when on Friday afternoon, a celebrated blogger posts a recipe that sounds so delicious it makes one speed from the office, straight to the grocery store. To buy heavy whipping cream, of course.


For what? Caramel sauce. *Insert Homer Simpson drooling sound*


After seeing Jenna's recipe, I just had to try and make this myself. I very much enjoyed the process!


It's chemistry, really, but I found it fascinating that a pile of sugar and a couple tablespoons of water went from this:

To this, almost instantly boiling.

To this (!)

After adding the whipping cream:
And then, I added my own personal touch to the recipe. 

What goes better with caramel sauce than bourbon? :-) Just a little bit (1/4 cup).


Technically, Jack Daniel's is whiskey (not Bourbon). I know. I think that bourbon sounds fancier, so I'm sticking with it. So there. This caramel sauce would taste excellent with real bourbon, such as Basil Hayden's or Maker's Mark.


Once I was finished making the sauce, I decided I would need something to eat it on. A caramel sauce vehicle, if you will. And what better to go with Bourbon caramel sauce, than ice cream?


Frozen banana soft serve ice cream, that is. If you haven't heard about this recipe, you must have been living in a cave for the past year and a half.


Anyhow, you start with your frozen bananas, chop into pieces and discard the skins.


Then take 'em for a spin in your food processor.

I usually add a little almond milk to smooth things out, but was out of that so used the next best thing... more whipping cream ;-)

Keep spinning in your food processor, stopping every now and then to smooth out clumps that form. After a couple minutes, the mixture will have the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Mmmm.


I spooned some into a ramekin,

Topped with some bourbon caramel sauce, 

Dropped the spoon in the saucepan... drat. Will just have to lick the spoon later.

Pecans,

And more sauce.

Put it all together, and what do you get? Exactly what I needed tonight, and 100% homemade and wonderful.


Oh, and I 'dropped the spoon' again. Darn :-) Guess I'll have to fish that one out, too! What to do with another caramel-covered spoon? Hmmm....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! My husband loves caramel sauce - I think he'd be really impressed if I made it from scratch at home :) Thanks for sharing this recipe! Btw - it was great meeting you at Foodbuzz - I'm really enjoying reading through your blog! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and please do stay in touch!

Raya said...

Mmmm, I saw this on her blog too!! Looks AWESOME! Love the idea of serving it over Banana soft-serve. Genius!!!

Paige is Running Around Normal said...

That's outta control, Laura. It started to get outta hand with the bourbon...but then came banana softserve and THEN whipped cream! Outta control. I want:) Did the food processor whip the whipping cream and change the texture of the soft serve at all?

Laura said...

Thanks for all of the comments!

Paige - there was only about a teaspoon of whipping cream left, so it didn't drastically change the texture of the banana soft serve. It just kind of smoothed it out (similar to how a little added soy or almond milk would) and added a certain richness to the flavor. It tasted pretty darn great! I couldn't help but laugh because adding it definitely de-veganized Gena's original recipe :-D

Kaitlin With Honey said...

Man, you make this look good!